Steroids Forum

Full Version: Seeking Advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Still being a very new member on this board I have to say I am in awe of how much knowledge many of you have and are willing to share, thanks Smile With this said, since many of you are PT's or SHOULD be I was hoping I could get some solid advice.

A little bit about me. Age 31, 6'4 292lbs, Bodyfat at 19.5%. (This was checked at a local college last week via the hydrostatic submerge method)
I have been off any gear for 8 months in a HUGE effort to clean myself out since I can say in all honesty prior to this I RARELY had any off time. I used bridge techniques as an excuse to just stay on which I totally regret. To all my fellow bros out there that are not competitive BB'rs on a high level give your body some off time. You CAN keep most of that size even with off time and you may find you look and feel better!
Ok, done preaching.

At the time I stopped cycling I was weighing in at 331lbs. Within a month 20lbs came off and as I mentioned I'm at 292lbs. I look twice as good now as I did at 331lbs. Most of my bodyfat is on my lower back, my waist is 36", was 43". As of now I have my sights set on doing my first show 12 months from now. With winter approaching I thought one more bulk plan/cycle may be wise followed by a cut program or cycle.

I'm looking for any advice. I have never perfected a diet so I 'm guessing I'll need 16+ weeks to diet down. My access to supplements is good so if you have any ideas, links or comments please post. As I said this will be my first show and I want to make a damn big impact. I should add I have been bodybuilding for 11 years.
Keep it simple.

Huge amounts of protein, a lot of fat, and minimal carbs.
Originally posted by Mister Grim
Keep it simple.

Huge amounts of protein, a lot of fat, and minimal carbs.

Oh my God! Someone else that advocates a high protein/low carb diet? I thought I was the only one.

Raphael, if I was you I'd start slowly trimming down now. Start eating a little cleaner, nothing drastic, slowly add in some cardio, and slowly up your protein (I recommend 2 grams per pound of bodyweight at a minimum). Do everything at a slow pace so your body doesn't freak out and start holding water/you get diarrhea/you get headaches/you get insomnia/etc. I start my contest prep about 24 weeks out, but that's me. Do you have intention on using gear for your show? If so, break it down for us so we can be more helpful for you as you get closer to your show.
Actually, I'm all for high fat/protein diets. At my height/weight what type of carbohydrate intake would you recommend? I think my last diet was 8.5 years ago and I ate nothing but beef and steamed vegetables. It was incredible, but now I'm much larger and used to having more carbs. I feel like a rookie posting these questions but all of my contacts have moved away and I prefer not to talk about diet/supplement use to people at my gym.

Defintely open to gear. If you have something in mind for cycling let me know. I have access to everything but GH can put a dent in my wallet Wink

I suppose being 12 months from a show date is early but still looking for advice on how others would use that time.
Originally posted by Raphael Argus
Actually, I'm all for high fat/protein diets. At my height/weight what type of carbohydrate intake would you recommend?

Zero...

But that's not really realistic. I'd shoot for less than 50g's. Remember, to keep your energy levels up, you'll need to SERIOUSLY increase your fat intake.
I'll start working down on my carbs tomorrow. Where do you guys typically get your carbless fat sources? I tried the Atkins Diet and I think I used bacon and cheeses for my fat. I'll have to read up on some high protein diets again. I just did not think it was practical for bodybuilding but if you can get the energy from the fat it should work.
Originally posted by Raphael Argus
I'll start working down on my carbs tomorrow. Where do you guys typically get your carbless fat sources? I tried the Atkins Diet and I think I used bacon and cheeses for my fat. I'll have to read up on some high protein diets again. I just did not think it was practical for bodybuilding but if you can get the energy from the fat it should work.

When I'm dieting, I'll eat red meat and the fat on the chicken breasts. Anything I cook with has to be a liquid at room temperature---in other words, no butter, lard, crisco, etc. Sometimes I'll fry up my chicken breasts. Basically, just keep it with "natural" fat sources. As Mr Grim said, zero carbs is a good target, but it's unrealistic. Keep in mind certain veggies do contain carbs---corn, peas/beans/other legumes, tomatoes, etc. So keep track of what you eat and if the fat isn't coming off at the rate you had hoped for as you near your show, chances are some carbs are slipping in there somewhere.
as you stated u went from 331 to 292.......and u look soo much better.....i exeperince the same thing... and the conclusion that came to mind.. is that thickenss and looking conpetition status..is more of an illusion... if u have decent thickness and size.. like you obiously. do..i would concetrate more.. on keeping the same body weight...and all ur muscle....and get super shreded... and if u are 292 or 300 lbs..... shreded.. u will look 320... no doubt... just my 02..
Raphael, also keep in mind that if you're currently 19.5% BF, once that fat comes off and if you don't sacrifice any muscle, that's gonna leave you weighing around 235-240 or thereabouts. You'll probably out some more muscle on between now and then, but remember what you could potentially end up weighing. Don't let it affect you mentally. When I diet I feel like a walking stick, even though my stage weight is around 222. Smile
Thanks for the information. I'm going to hit the grocery store today and see if my butcher can hook me up with some large quantities of beef. Looks like my grill will be working some over time this week Wink

Maybe I will start leaning immediately. Like you stated Studhammer I also feel puny when I diet down. It's a big reason I kept my weight up. Just need to push through it. It's an illusion anyway, you lose 20lbs of flab you look 30lbs bigger.

As for using gear, what type of cycles would be wise to run in the next 3-6 months? I'm going to be consuming tons of beef so I imagine I could lean up and pack on some size if I threw in something anabolic/androgenic. Again, just looking for suggestions. =)
Pages: 1 2