Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much is weight training important to fighting
I would have to say a lot but there is one thing if you can lift a lot that doesnt meant that you can fight well i think fighting is an art and its all about technique and knowing how to fight
its about technique....but you need to have some power and strength behind your attacks or it won't have the same effect....I can fight a 5 year old with great technique...and not get too bad of a beating....or ronnie coleman could be a 9th degree black and have perfect form and punch his fist through my chest cavity
Technique and power,Lifting sure does help and allows you to take a punch .
I have been in fighting arts for 25 years and my punch is dam strong thanks to lifting and throws are much better, squats really put the punch in my kicks, and last but not least the dam tread mill makes me dance around a attackerSmile Look at any pro and you know he lifts!
good point....and a BB routine probably wouldn't be near as beneficial as a powerlifting, or MAXOT routine would
It's mostly technique, but being able to knock someone out with one blow is pretty helpful.
I think powerlifting is super helpful to grappling techniques. Now if you're a big wing chun guy it might take a little bit of adjustment since the two kind of rub each other raw. Strength allows you to take small mistakes and erase them,or turn the other guys small mistakes into show stoppers. Extreme strength/size even gives you a bit of immunity to certain locks,though surely at the lack of mobility and a little sensitivity. I'm not saying strength can take the place of mental toughness,tactics,or skill,but it's a nice tool to have in the toolbox. I think the tougher question is how much strength/size is good for what you are doing without reducing your stamina/speed/agility to the point of hurting you. Everybody is different,but i think we've seen both sides of it in the ufc events.

-Devildog
power simply makes up for lack of skill. If I had to chose between being very very skilled and a fit 200 pounds versus 230 pounds of muscle with no clue.. id take the skill.. That being said, the vast majority of people are not skilled and thus muscle can be devestating until you run up against a fighter then you and yoru biceps are toast...
That being said, the vast majority of people are not skilled and thus muscle can be devestating until you run up against a fighter then you and yoru biceps are toast...

Good point, unless you know what to do with your muscle, all it does is weigh you down, make you slower and quicker to tire. Overall I think most fighters are over developed and while most have the exceptional skills to allow them to dominate, they could be so much more devastating with the speed their body would be at while carrying 10-20 lbs. less on their frame.

This being said, in certain arts muscle is an asset. Wrestlers value the added strength and body weight. While a boxer could possibly punch harder, he is better suited being quicker and more explosive. It's all dependent on your art and your skill level.

Bruce was 135 lbs. soaking wet and he was the greatest all around fighter of all time.
most great fighters are quick.. weight training slows you down a bit.. if you watch any boxing, kickboxing, or even UFC fight you will see that non of them are really huge. Most of them train using BW. pushups, situps, pullups, etc. Ya you might hit a little harder if you weight train, but speed is dangerous.. A nice hit to the left eye with min power will cause dizzyness and i think you know what happens after that sets in. KO... the only thing to counter this is to practice getting hit in the face a number of times.. That is why boxers go for so many rounds that and gloves help too.
u guys r correct. it is mostly technique and fighting skill. being storong will help, but bulk will hurt u. If u are bulky and muscle bound, then u will not be quick and able to hit ur opponent in time. A bit of flexibility will help for that though