Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much is weight training important to fighting
yes but im a trained fighter im not just anybody...martial arts is all i do i have no life Smile...yes a 60lb midget cak kick me in the nuts gouge my eye out and pick my brain but its highly unlikely i will let him do it...i was speaking generally i totaly agree that a complete 90lb homo can kick shamrocks ass if hes a super lucky mother fucker but the chance is 0.0000000000001%...i have met real masters of the arts and theyre not huge mofos and i will be the first to say that i would avoid confrontation with them any way i can but these people are very rare i could count them on my fingers (at least from my experiance)...generally speaking if you dont have the mass you cant do much to a big guy simply because you cant hit as hard...alex

Strength and size can compensate for lack of skill. But years of training and art mastery can allow a 135 lb'er to smack around a 235 lb'er in ANY form of fighting/wrestling etc.

And whoever thought they could take Bruce, c'mon guy, Bruce fuckin Lee? Who are you kiddin? I'm not taking anything away from the fact that you may be a seriously experienced/knowledgeable fighter, but he was the greatest all around fighter of all time, I think you're statement is a lil brash.
Strength and size can compensate for lack of skill. But years of training and art mastery can allow a 135 lb'er to smack around a 235 lb'er in ANY form of fighting/wrestling etc.

And whoever thought they could take Bruce, c'mon guy, Bruce fuckin Lee? Who are you kiddin? I'm not taking anything away from the fact that you may be a seriously experienced/knowledgeable fighter, but he was the greatest all around fighter of all time, I think you're statement is a lil brash.

I know... you have got to be fucking kidding me! I don't care if he was only 135 lbs, his speed was unmatchable. what good is being so much bigger than him if you can't hit him because he is too fast? A heavyweight high school wrestler? Anybody that knows anything about wrestling knows that heavyweight wrestlers, especially ones in high school, are slow as all hell. Bruce Lee could run behind a heavyweight HS wreslter and kick him in the back of the head before the guy even knew what hit him.
Listen, that actor, Bruce Lee, made movies and did not fight in any professional venture. Perhaps he could fight for real, in some capacity, and may have been quite good compared to most... however if you call him the greatest all around fighter of all time then you are basing it on a movie career.

IF that's the case then that Toby kid could beat Bruce Lee, because hey, he's spiderman. Don't try to tell me different, I saw it in a movie once (actually there's a sequel out now). And William Dafoe was the green goblin, he could beat bruce too. LOL And let's not forget Hugh Jackman was Wolverine, I am sure bruce and those other fighters would fall before his adamantium claws. What? You're telling me that those movie skills don't translate into real life? You're kidding...
Fellas,lets be realistic here. Any guy that has a decent fighting base,even from a sport has a good chance at 235 of pounding a 135 pound guy. Unlike boards and bricks people move. The 135 pound guy has the speed advantage in most cases,but loses out strongly in power. At 205 i'm pretty certain i can throw a 135 pound guy around like a rag doll,and i have a pretty decent point of reference. I graduated as a 135 pound quick guy. I would not like to have been stuck in grappling range with a 235 pound guy then for sure. Is it possible for the 135 pound guy to win,sure. Is it more plausible that he'll make even the slightest mistake against a semi skilled,larger opponent and pay tthe price for hesitating or getting greedy...i would say so. I am feeling pretty competent with my skills/size/strength at this point. That doesn't mean i want to fight Roy Jones tomorrow or that i'm calling Goldberg to whip his ass and show him who the man is eitherSmile

-Devildog
All I'm saying is Bruce Lee is not a typical 135 pound guy. Speed = Power Did you ever hear of his 1 inch punch? Typically, the skilled bigger guy would womp on a 135 pound guy, but just respect the fact that you're talking about Bruce Lee and not just any 135 pound martial artist.
Most 135 pound boxers and bjj guys have tons more fight experience than Bruce Lee, why use the actor as the example?
Sorry to burst people's bubbles here, but Bruce Lee, although a very good acrobat and an exceptional choreographer, was not a particularly gifted fighter--this is just carefully crafted hype that began in his lifetime and continues to this day. Lee had a very basic background in Wing Chun. While I appreciate his philosophical approach to martial arts (it helped me as a boxer many years ago), he simply wasn't a real martial artist. And no, he didn't beat Chuck Norris up while sparring, nor was he ever in a competition that could be verified.

That being said, the guy was in awesome shape and was smart as hell.
His fighting style was Jeet Kune Do you fucking moron. Who cares if he was an actor? That's like saying Arnold wasn't a great bodybuilder just cuz he lifted weights in a few movies and he "can act like he knows what he was doing." If you don't think Bruce Lee was a great fighter, then buy his fucking book
i would smack around bruce lee any way i wanted ok hes fast but so am i...he has no mass to block anything i trow at him and if i wrestle him he has no cance at all...bruce was no big fighter...chuck norris slapped his ass...chuck was a great kickboxer...there are very few 135lb men that could take on a big trained guy...many big mofos on this board could take bruce easy...just sit on him...i have a devastating low kick and no 135lb guy is going to take it and feel good about it + he cant even block me...speed does not mean much and only goes so far...bruce was not lightning fast...theres a limit to how fast you can hit and deliver some power behind it...a really fast slap will only piss an opponent off...his JKD was some good stuff at the time...alex
His fighting style was Jeet Kune Do you fucking moron. Who cares if he was an actor? That's like saying Arnold wasn't a great bodybuilder just cuz he lifted weights in a few movies and he "can act like he knows what he was doing." If you don't think Bruce Lee was a great fighter, then buy his fucking book

Not sure if this is directed at me, but JKD is a philosophy of martial arts designed to get the student to develop HIS own style--I mentioned in my post that this was helpful to my boxing career, so I have read the book.

Your analogy is not a good one--a better one would be that although Arnold can act like he's a government agent (True Lies, Eraser), he really isn't one.