Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triceps Workout
i just wanted to ask that what kind of workout you do for triceps? thats very centric muscle in bench, so i would like to hear some training tips and good movements for tricep workout:p :p :p
We (Powerlifters) train lifts, not muscle groups...so for I bench training, I do:

Sunday: Dyanmic BP
1. Dynamic BP: 8 sets of 3 reps with three different close grips
2. Board Press: 3x5
3. Extensions: 4x12

Wednesday: Maximum Effort BP
1. Some form of pressing, done with a close grip for a max single
2. Whatever we used for ME work 2 sets of 5-10 reps
3. JM Press: 2-3 sets of 10 reps

Erm
Yup, like Erm said.

My personal favorite exercises that jack my bench up, which use mostly triceps too, are board presses and lockouts. I love me some board presses!

I use a close grip (pinky on ring) for 4-6 boards for reps for assistance work...but for max effort I use a competition grip and I use 1-4 boards, but I might start including 5 boards in there too!
lockouts work great for me too. I also like to do weighted dips myself.
"That which will not kill you ...will only only make you stronger, and if it does kill you... You shouldn't have been training with us to begin with!"

-John Defendis
what is jm press? how it's done? and do you use tate-press in your workouts?
The exact movements are rotated most every week, but the stucture stays the same.

The JM Press by Bullfrog:

"Real story on JM presses
Gents- I can see by reading a few threads, that there is as much confusion as ever about JM's. So if you will read this unbiasedly I can tell you what the real deal is. First off let me clarify a few things so you don't get the wrong idea. I am a huge WSB believer. I talk to Louie about once a week or so. I talk to Dave on occasion also. I am not trying to impress anyone but just qualifying my next statement- Don't believe everything you read. First off I don't like to talk out of school so I can't say who told me but it is true- The way JM's are described IS NOT HOW THEY ARE DONE! The article that Blakely himself wrote about them IS NOT EVEN HOW HE DOES THEM. The pics are wrong also. As far as the videos go, everytime you see them they are different. Thats because evryone does them a little differently. I was shown how to do them in a safe,effective manner that just plain works. Again, I am not talking shit but Lou himself showed me how to do these about 4 years ago at a contest and I will tell you guys how I was taught. Bring the bar straight down above your collar bone,throat,or chin. At your worst leverage point reverse the bar pushing with the hands first to emphasize the tri's. This should be about the height of a 3-4 board press for most. All the elbow bending and wrist rolling is just a modification of the Dicks Press they used about 7-8 years ago. It is great but plays hell on your elbows. I know because I used them forever until I tore off my tricep tendon at the elbow joint a few years ago. My point is fellow Board members by using the straight up and down style you can get just as good results with alot healthier joints and alot less time spent in rehab. Hope this posts helps out."

Erm
Good post. I too have seen alot of conflicting info and videos about JM presses.
"That which will not kill you ...will only only make you stronger, and if it does kill you... You shouldn't have been training with us to begin with!"

-John Defendis
do some close grip benches in a power rack with bands suspended from the top of the rack...for example i like to put about 405 on the bar and do reps...the weight feels like 275 at my chest and a full 405 at lockout...you can really overload the tris and be explosive at the same time...just loop the ends of the bands over the sleeve of the bar and attach the bands to the top of the rack with chain...then i finish up with some dumbell extensions and thats it...
good tips, thank you